Saturday, November 10, 2012

Vulnerable

Huddled in the corner
hiding
from Them
but They keep coming
ever coming

Sick of Their words
that pierce through
this corkboard heart
can't handle so many thumbtacks

If only everything didn't remind
of the past
back sometime
beyond the worries of the present
much less the future.
Those things locked in the past
are oh-so comforting
because they will never change

If only time would stand still
if no one ever changed
then it would be safe
to stand and explore this place
that we experience a lifetime
thankfully no more

Here he is
another one of Them
surely...

Questioning eyes
offered hand
could this be a trick?

I take the hand
I don't know why
knowing it would collapse on me
I gave it a tug
it holds firm

I rise with knees shaky
yet he holds me firm
and when They laughed
it didn't hurt as much

The words "I understand"
something unexpected
for how could someone so unshakable
know weakness?

but no
could the fearless
simply hide their terrors within?

His eyes tell me everything
we are not alone
and our insecurities pit Them against each other
against us
but we don't strike back:
our fatal flaw
yet greatest strength

and for that moment
time stood still.

No comments:

Post a Comment