Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Alone

There she sits, across the way.

There, surrounded by nothing.

Her eyes, downcast, flicker
    Following the shadow of a person
She knows will never glance up.

She is stillness
   And the only one to notice doesn't care
   Glances with unsympathetic eyes
And a self-satisfied smile.

Footsteps
   approaching
But no, they couldn't be.
    Not for her, anyways.

Ever nearer
   My feet slapping concrete
Because I'm nobody as well.
    A nobody with a curiosity, that is.

Why?
   Why the frown?
   Why the silence?
For souls do not cease their singing without reason
    Especially those as beautiful as hers
        At least, how I remember it being.
It's been so long.

Maybe she's not the same?
   Time changes people, after all.
Still I must find out
   Why?

Here I stand.
   What to say?
Her eyes study my shoes.

"April. Are  you all right?"
   The obvious
     And if I'd thought twice,
   A certain negative.

But her eyes glance up
Catch mine

And away I turn.
   Anywhere but there and those haunting eyes.

I cannot think exactly why I ran. Maybe the raw emotion caught me off guard. Maybe the fear, the vulnerability, the pleading. Maybe the anger and hatred. Maybe the pity. Her eyes were a broken bottle: the glass shards scattered hopelessly, forgotten in the empty parking lot.

I may have been curious, but she didn't want my concern.

Her hollow laugh trailed my guilty conscience back home.

Her eyes shift down again
   A tiny sigh escapes her lips
And there she resides
                               broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment